Monday, July 12, 2010

Great Photo. What Camera Do You Use?

What photographer hasn’t heard this question? I’ve gotten to the point I just smile and give the answer. No use trying to explain that any camera can take great pictures in the hands of someone who knows what to do with it. A professional violinist once aked me this very question when I showed him a shot on the screen of my Canon 5D, and I answered, “You make great music. What kind of violin do you use?” He got my point immediately.

John Harrington, whose blog I read regularly, has a recent article posted (July 6 date) titled It’s not the Tool. It’s the Talent. It features a link to a 10 minute video by photographer Lee Morris doing a fashion shoot with the crummiest camera he could find, just to prove this point. Click here to see it. This video also is packed with details about the lighting used to make the shoot, including lights bought from Lowes.

No comments: