Monday, June 13, 2011

Finding Order in Clutter

My front yard must have five or six hibiscus bushes.  They grow like weeds down here in Georgia. As beautiful as the flowers are, I find the litter they create on the ground after the flowers fall breathtaking in their own way.  The deep magenta of the flowers fade to a purple/cyan once they fall and wither.  I recently spent some time in the early morning light trying to capture the magic this display on the ground creates for me.

Here's my first attempt:

Click on image to enlarge

I took six frames like this with a 24 mm lens on my Canon 5D, but decided it was too wide.  After pushing the two recently dropped flowers closer together, and bringing more of the litter closer to them, I turned to the 90mm macro on my 40D and got a ton of images like this:


Compositionally, this is OK, but the two flowers overpower each other rather than give balance to the image. 

I decided to go in closer, and concentrate on only one flower.  In my opinion, this is the best of the bunch, after I dragged it through Lightroom, Photoshop and Topaz Adjust:


Technical information is ... Canon 40D, 90mm macro lens, 1/80 sec (hand held), f/8.0, ISO 1600

I took a total of 144 images during this shoot in my front yard.  I got one keeper.  Not a bad outcome.

No comments: