Sunday, July 17, 2011

David duChemin on Originality

David duChemin just put a new posting on his blog, continuing his discussion about originality.  The article is worth reading and pondering.  But what had the greatest impact on me was his photograph at the beginning of the post. 

The picture grabbed me and pulled me in, even though the only clear, unblurred part of the image is the front of the gondola.  Trying to reverse engineer it, I figure David somehow mounted or at least held the camera tightly to the body of the boat and gave the shot maybe 0.5 to 1.0 second exposure.  The black and white rendering is a perfect decision for the picture, since the image is about lines and movement, not color.

I forgot who said it, but some master photographer recently wrote that for him the best pictures are those he wants to go back to more than twice.  That picture by David is one of those for me.

No comments: