Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Hand-Held HDR Landscape

Click on image to enlarge

I recently took a trip to Asheville, NC, and spent some time on the Blue Ridge Parkway.  Maintained by the US Park Service, this roadway is a treasure.  Following the ridgeline of what is arguably among the most stunning scenery in the East, this two-lane road has frequent overlooks and turnouts that are so numerous I just couldn't take advantage of all of them and keep on my travel schedule.

The above photo was shot at one of those overlooks.  Timing was right.  Clouds were rolling in and there was a new photo opportunity moment to moment.  Moving just a few feet to the right or left created an entirely different composition.  I consider the above photo the best of the shoot.  I brought a tripod, but didn't set it up.  I was too lazy to use it with all the stops I was making along the road.  And I have the confidence that, done properly, hand-held HDR will work for me most of the time. 

This picture demonstates that point.

Technical information:
Canon 5D ii, 24-10 mm f/2.8 lens @  105mm, f/11, ISO 800, three exposures: 1/100, 1/400, 1/1600
Processed using Nik HDR Efex Pro

No comments: