Sunday, November 27, 2011

How Projects Drive Creativity

Film maker and photographer Andrew Zuckerman quotes artist Chuck Close saying, "Inspiration is for amateurs. The rest of us just show up and get to work."

Projects are what we show up for.  It's the work that gets the results, not something called inspiration. As Zuckerman says, it's not inspiration, but curiosity mixed with rigor, that gets projects to happen. "I don't have to be the best at something when I start it.  It's just about doing the work. I'll get there just by doing it."

This is the most motivating message I take from Zuckerman: With curiosity, persistence, rigor, and hard work, results follow. Just go out and keep at it.

Watch this 27 minute video of Andrew Zuckerman talking about his projects, inspiration, and hard work. I found it on Dave Delnea's blog.

No comments: