Wednesday, August 22, 2012

The parts can add up to something that's greater than the whole

Two can be better than one.

One of the things I appreciate about high resolution digital photography is that it gives me the ability to crop images without sacrificing much in image quality.

Here's an uncropped image I shot with a Sony NEX-7 that has a 24.3 megapixel APS-C size sensor.  The image has been processed in Lightroom to my satisfaction.



It has several points of interest, movement, color, and decent separation of the subjects from the background.  But there's too much going on for the uncropped picture to hold my gaze with any intensity.  It's pretty clear to me, after the first glance, that there are two separate areas of interest competing for my attention.  My response was to turn each area into a separate image.

This is an image created from the left side of the picture:

 


And here's one from the right side:



Each one holds its own compositionally, in my opinion.  Each speaks its own statement without fighthing for my attention.

This exercise reminded me that sometimes several parts of a picture can be better than the uncropped original.  The bonus is that I now have two decent images from the one.

No comments: